“Document labelled UTF-16 but has UTF-8 content” - or how I was accidentally emailed a user’s password

I have very few personal projects, and I tend not to take very good care of them. Of these, the most expensive and one of the longest running personal projects is Google Voice for Outlook Mobile Service. I believe I made it the summer after I graduated from High School, and for some crazy reason I just loved Outlook.

Either way, I figured out that Outlook, when connected to an OMS provider, could send text messages. “How beneficial!” I thought. Have your text messages and email addresses in the same inbox, yet still appearing separate.

I looked into these OMS providers that Outlook linked to, and they all charged money, of course. Pay per text message - every single one of them. It was a hard bargain for me, since I had a cellular phone I paid for and Google Voice on top of that. Why should I get another number, that will only be useful inside of Outlook, and then pay for every single message I send.

So I did what any resourceful programmer would do – I started looking into how Outlook connected to these providers to send text messages, and then wrote a quick and dirty webapp to do the deed. PHP was my language of choice – and seeing as this was the pre-composer, ZF1, CakePHP erra – I started writing immediately without any hint of framework code. Soon enough, my project was online and costing me plenty of money to maintain. (Dreamhost didn’t - and still doesn’t - support HTTPS via SNI, which means I’m currently paying for an IPv4 address - Not Cheap!)

Fast Forward about four years and here we are, GVOMS sitting on it’s own little server, getting a small amount of activity (Honestly no clue how much, I’m still not logging the amount of text messages sent). And I get an email in my inbox. PHP Error Reporting. Through maybe four years of time the program had worked so well without any PHP errors that I hadn’t even remembered that I set it up to email me with any errors and their context.

The error was interesting in and of itself, “Document labelled UTF-16 but has UTF-8 content” - a problem that I had solved for all working versions of Outlook at the time, but I had done it in a non-case-sensitive way, and according to the XML in the context, “Microsoft SharePoint” decided that it was going to start sending the encoding lowercase (as UTF-16 despite sending UTF-8).

But that’s right, it sent me the XML of the request - and oh goodness gracious it was a login verification request. I sat for a moment and stared at the username and password of a very unfortunately gmail user.

At this point, there were a multitude of options I could have taken, but I didn’t spend any time thinking about them before I went the lawful good route and immediately emailed the user.

Hello! You are inadvertently flooding my inbox with errors, apparently. I didn’t even know I had error reporting like that turned on.

Anyway, I’ve noticed you’re having some issues with GVOMS and I will be able to check on them sometime after 6pm eastern.

Two things:

  1. Please stop attempting to connect, as I really don’t need any more emails, thank you.

  2. Inadvertently, your password was sent to me via email over plain-text. I recommend you change it. (I also, in general, recommend people switch to dual-factor authentication) I’m very sorry for the inconvenience I’m sure this is, and I’ll be reviewing my code so that I don’t get other people’s passwords in the future.

At my next available opportunity I did the sensible thing and ran the context variable the email was spitting out at me through a regex parser to filter out the contents of the <password> tag and fixed the case-insensitivity bug, and followed up with another email letting the user know that the bugs were fixed.

Unfortunately, I haven’t heard back from the user - but I can only hope they aren’t too upset.

 
14
Kudos
 
14
Kudos

Now read this

How Swatches Work [Magento EE 1.14.1]

Magento Enterprise Edition 1.14.1 was released today, and with it came the very nifty feature of Swatches! My team was very interested in figuring out how to manage and utilize this new feature for our clients. The first thing that we... Continue →